Good healthy diet is must for overall well being of our body. But what is the meaning of a healthy diet. Should we eat alkaline food or acidic food is a big question. It is the pH level which measures whether the food is alkaline or acidic. PH refers to potential of hydrogen in our body fluids as well as tissues. It is measured on a scale from 0 to 14. If anything is acidic the pH level is less than 7. And if the pH is above 7 the substance is alkaline. A pH of 7 is regarded as neutral. The optimum pH level of the human body is around 7.4. Basically the slightly alkaline pH is considered as healthy. Basically, the pH levels vary all through the body. The stomach is the most acidic region of our body.
There are so many different kinds of diets but if you want to eat to live longer and ward off diseases you must opt for alkaline diet. An alkaline diet keeps so many health issues at bay such as diabetes, hypertension, arthritis, low bone density, Vitamin D deficiency etc.
What is included in alkaline diet?
- Alkaline diet comprises of fresh fruits and vegetables. Ideally it is recommended to include raw foods in the diet
- Some of the best foods which need to be included in your diet are tomatoes, mushrooms, cabbage, ginger, garlic, figs, watermelons, celery, ripe bananas, kale, cucumber, broccoli, avocado, grapefruit, spinach etc.
- Also include plant based sources of proteins such as nuts in your diet. Processed and packaged foods do not form part of alkaline diet. .
- Consume Alkaline Water-Alkaline water has pH level between 9 to 11. It is fine to drink distilled water also. Water which is filtered with reverse osmosis filter tends to be little acidic, but then it is far better than tap water or bottled water. If you add pH drops, lime, lemon or baking soda into the water it also enhances its alkalinity.
- Green drinks- All drinks which are made from green leafy vegetables as well as grasses in the powder form are filled with alkaline-forming foods as well as chlorophyll. The structure of chlorophyll is similar to blood and this assists to alkalize blood.
Some of the benefits of alkaline diet are as follows:
- Keeps body cells healthy
- Reduces memory loss
- Helps maintain ideal weight
- Improves overall cardiovascular health
- Lowers inflammation and chronic pain
- Balances level of essential minerals in the body
- Prevents formation of plaque in blood vessels
- Helps in building stronger bones
- Prevent kidney stones
- Thwart calcium accumulation in urine
- Reduce muscle spasm
- Lower risk of stroke and hypertension
- Prevents deficiency of Magnesium in the body
If your diet is acidic you will constantly battle with innumerable health issues. So, doctors recommend including alkaline foods in your diet in order to effectively combat diseases. Whenever it is possible you must purchase organic alkaline foods. You should eat food which is grown in mineral dense soil. So, now you know that if you have alkaline food your chances of a leading a longer and healthy life are brighter.